Friday, October 4, 2013

I have a bone to pick: teacher training- decide for yourself


These are just a few of many examples of articles I have come across and read since I finished my 200-hour yoga teacher training and begun to expand my practice even further through teaching...and some articles have annoyed me enough that I felt I should write my own blog post on the matter.
While some of these points are helpful and accurate, I feel that there is a way to be informative without being discouraging of individuals who want to begin their personal journey towards growth or teaching.



Ideally, you want people to enter a teacher training with the full understanding of what it will provide and a set of intentions for what they plan to do with the knowledge they gain. The harsh reality is that many people dive into a yoga teacher training with little understanding at all of what they will get out of it and what they will do after. If this applies to you, don't compare yourself to others just take a step back and do a little research first:

So instead of telling you all about why you might potentially regret making the decision to invest in a yoga teacher training..
I humbly invite you to ask yourself a few questions:

What do you think you will learn? Where does your primary interest in yoga and your personal practice lie? Is there a style of yoga you prefer? Do you want to focus on that style in your teacher training or do you want to expand your horizons? Are you ready to be challenged emotionally, spiritually, and physically? What is going on in your life right now? Are you are looking for emphasis on a particular topic? Be that alignment, spirituality, assisting, etc.. Are you looking for an extended program spread out over many months, or are you interested in a multiple week immersion/retreat? How do you want to use what you learn? Is the process to expand your personal practice or do you want to influence others? What is your budget? Are you willing to invest (a hefty sum of) money into something that may not immediately pay itself off?

I could go on..but you get the point. I've always been an advocate of diving in, making impulsive decisions, and following your heart, but some decisions deserve a little more thought.

Once you answer questions like these (and then some) I feel that it is easier to set realistic expectations and goals for yourself and the teacher training you choose to attend (within the parameters of what your definition of realistic is). Chase your dreams, but disappointment may show up now and then..because nothing is perfect. Yoga helps you meet challenges head on with a clear mind, and obviously there will be upsides and downsides to any decision we make. As with any other potentially life-changing endeavor, I propose you to truly and thoroughly put some thought into it first. You are probably seeking something, and a yoga teacher training can provide something beautiful to fill that space if you approach it in the right way.

My experience in 200-hour teacher training changed my life. I waited for the right opportunity to participate knowing what I could afford, what I had time for, and what I wanted out of it. Shannon Harty of GetDownDog Yoga is a fountain of knowledge and experience. I am so grateful to have built my understanding and appreciation for yoga in such a loving and supportive environment that fostered community and appreciation for myself and others. I am fortunate that Body Balance has welcomed me with open arms as a new teacher, and I appreciate every single beautiful soul that shows up to practice with me. With a solid base, I'm more than ready to continue my education with a 500-hour training. Not knowing what the future holds, I'm confident I can handle whatever may come. I am grounded and strong and live through love.

We are all on our own journey, so find your authenticity and a true connection to yourself. Once you find that, you can determine positive and negative consequences on your own.


 Don't let anyone put out your flame.
Breathe. Connect. Love with your whole heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment