Monday, October 28, 2013

What are we capable of?

How do you know unless you challenge yourself?

How can you challenge yourself if you don't believe in yourself?

How do you begin to establish a firm and unwavering confidence in the person you are and what you are capable of?

How can you open your heart to life, love, and others if you have no faith in yourself?

Begin somewhere. Self talk and visualization. Tell yourself. Love. Then surround yourself with others who believe it too.
For example:

Do this for a week:
I am amazing. I can do anything. I will be positive. My individuality is beautiful. I will succeed. I can do ANYTHING I set my mind to. 
I am here to tell you that you can do anything you set your mind to. 

The more times you tell yourself, the more it will become second nature, and then it will spread like wildfire to others.

Yesterday, October 27th, myself and three (or seven if you count cousins of the family I am marrying into) other family members ran in the Marine Corps Marathon. As I write this I can't help but be overwhelmed with how awesome my entire immediate and extended family are. My brother has done four Ironman competitions and I have all the faith in the world he will qualify for the Kona World Championships in the next one he races. My sister has more strength in determination than any other person I have met in my life. My fiance is calm in the midst of a storm, tackling anything with steadiness and certainty. 

My sister Jackie, while I love her dearly and with my whole heart, was sorely under prepared to run a marathon. Did this matter? Absolutely not. There was little thought put into pre-race food or sustenance during the race for day of, and she clocked minimal miles in the months leading up to it. Was this a problem? Absolutely not. She decided she was going to run the marathon yesterday, beat the bridge, and finish and there wasn't a single doubt in my mind that it wouldn't happen. "It's 85% mental," she says. So she ran, beat the bridge and finished, and my heart swelled with pride as she ran up the final hill. 

"If you are losing faith in humanity, go out and watch a marathon" - Kathrine Switzer
No truer words. 

Both racing and spectating provide renewal and excitement about the good that can be spread through love, support, determination, and confidence in oneself.. Do I love running 26.2 miles? No. No I do not. But there is no other feeling like realizing that you are capable of more than you know. 

I traveled to Idaho and watched my brother Danny swim 2.4 miles, transition into a 112 mile bike then finish with a marathon. We ate, celebrated a job well done, and returned to the finish line to watch the last of the competitors make their way across the finish line. I have never in my life been so moved. The people who cross the finish line at midnight have been swimming, biking, and running for 17 hours. Can you even fathom that? Honestly. Stop and think about it for a moment...that is three times longer than most people sleep at night. There is so much determination, willpower and spirit in these peoples hearts and minds that they continue moving forward even though their bodies are clearly shutting down and trying to stop them. 17 hours. Strangers stand along the sidelines, pounding their fists, cheering, screaming, singing, dancing, doing anything and everything in their power to help a person whom they have never met make it that final treacherous mile.

When my own body felt like it was going to give out from under me yesterday, as difficult as it was (and it was not pretty) I found the presence of mind and ability to push myself a little harder, knowing that any pain I was feeling would pass and because there is truth and conviction in this:
If marines who have lost their legs can race 26.2 miles with their arms in a wheelchair..

If the 70-year-old man limping in a knee brace can cross the finish with arms pumping in the air..
If people who have lost the ones they love to war and violence can race in memory of them..
If people who have beaten cancer can turn around and finish a 26.2 mile race or an Ironman...
then I can undoubtedly do it too.

I am amazing. I can do anything. I will be positive. My individuality is beautiful. I will succeed. I can do ANYTHING I set my mind to. 


I invite you to challenge yourself today, this week, this month, this year. Step outside of your comfort zone and approach the unknown or something you are fearful of. It will help you grow. It will help you love. It will help you become who you are really meant to be. In a time when news shows us primarily corruption, political attacks, violence, war, death, and destruction-it might even restore some of your faith in humanity.

There is good, love, and wonder everywhere. Look around. Open your eyes to it. Begin small. Start with yourself. Then magnify it outward.


1 comment: