Monday, September 30, 2013

Work with the present moment

“Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it.” ~Eckhart Tolle
How my yoga practice has developed Part II:
So I made it through my first hot yoga class, and although it didn't stick with me right away I did take something from it. I went home and bought a few yoga and pilates videos off of amazon.com. Now, I'm not trying to say that there isn't a time and place for 'at-home yoga videos' but that didn't work for me either. 

There is something to be said in the beginning of your yoga practice for actually going to a studio, and the energy produced by a group of people with a common purpose. By leaving your home and going to a designated place that provides that energy for you, yet another roadblock towards relaxation, connection, and looking inward is removed. In the little sanctuary that is a yoga studio, you can walk into a room and disengage from technology, anger, fear, worry, and stress. 

You can inhale and draw new energy into your body, the exhale provides a more fulfilling release of toxins that build up from the unnecessary aggravation caused by worry, fear and stress (a.k.a. life).

Now it is very true and I started to realize at a very difficult time that: In order to continue growing as a person, you have to be a little bit selfish.
Even though I had a hard time doing yoga in my room (with my computer right behind me, my cell phone on silent but still vibrating, and the presence of all my belongings to remind me of heavy thoughts hanging over my head), I did stick with the pilates. It was through at-home pilates videos that I began to feel connected with my body once again. A back injury, weight gain, and an anxiety towards eating led to a complete lack of caring for myself mentally and physically. I had stopped growing as a person because I did not feel I was worth it.
Now I will tell you: You are WORTH it. You are ALWAYS worth it. It does not matter where you are in your life, or what you are going through. It is vitally important that you understand you deserve it. All of the good, the love, the happiness can be yours if you begin to understand that you are worth it. 
I have been at a place where I have felt constantly vulnerable, sad, lonely, and thought the entire world was judging me. Going through a hard time, I began to come to the realization that I was in control of my life. I know now that none of the negative matters and the most important persons opinion of you is your own. If someone feels they need to release their anger and frustration onto you, it is because of something that is going on with them and has very little to do with you. 
Core engagement is essential in a yoga practice, and is an important step towards a connection with the rest of your body and your body alone. We are all unique and beautiful. Finding a connection to my core led to a deeper understanding of myself. This was the first step towards realizing that I needed to begin caring for myself. 

Take hold of your life. 
Find a strong connection with your body. 
Live through love, because it just may change you. 
Be present, because whatever you are feeling or experiencing in this very moment matters.
And don't forget to focus on your breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment