Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Confessions of an imperfect yogi

Life is a constant journey full of twisting paths, lanes, doors to be opened and routes to follow. Sometimes I imagine I am walking (maybe even dancing or skipping) through the woods. I come upon a fork in the road, look left - look right, they both appear to be the same. I choose which direction to go, wander in a certain direction and suddenly myself in a clearing. This clearing feels like home - I look up and I can see the bright blue sky, birds are singing, there is a calm breeze, the sun is warm on my face. I feel a lightness - ease - an effortless feeling leaving me certain I am in the right place. 

Intuition can take you on a path that lights your soul on fire. 

Sometimes I take a wrong turn and wander in a direction that may not serve me well in mind, body, and spirit. Inevitably, after the fact, we think back and remember a funny feeling in our stomach, feelings of doubt or unhappiness prior to going that way or making that decision - taking that turn teaches us to be more careful about our decisions - to follow our hearts and to follow our gut feeling of what is right for us - to appreciate the times a little more where we felt lighter as though a weight was lifted from our shoulders. This weekend I felt safe, lifted up, challenged, loved, and fully embraced as the person I am and these emotions solidify the place in me that wants to continue down whatever path that will help me further grow and expand.

Now - for a confession: I acknowledge the truth that I do not allow myself to stay in a place of exuberance for making it to that clearing where the sun is shining, the sky is bright and clear and birds are singing. I am happy there for a moment and then I start wondering how I can get to the next clearing - the frustration towards limitations come into play (financial, time constraints, geographic location, etc.) and I lose sight of the fact that where I am is exactly where I need to be. 


So I say to myself and to you - life (my continued education in yoga as well as growth as a teacher) is a marathon, not a sprint. There is too much beauty in the present moment to dwell on what will or will not be. There is no sense in tossing aside your current happiness in order to get the the next more quickly. Be grateful in this moment and sustain that joy as long as possible. Be grateful you made the right turn that brought you to your current place at all. Let intuition help guide you to the next clearing where friends old and new are there to greet you - where you feel delight, warmth, and contentment.


Today I am grateful for the twists and turns in life and that path that brought me to my first AcroYoga Elemental Immersion this month. Prerequisites, time, money, and responsibilities may come before an AcroYoga teacher training, but when frustration surfaces because it just isn't happening quickly enough, (nothing ever seems to happen quickly enough in our society) I will remind myself that there is no rush. Slow down. Be patient. You will get there. I am thankful today for lifelong best friends I made in just fifteen hours and for a community that lifts its members up through the power of clear communication, loving giving, and open receiving. That is the kind of community I want to be apart of and I'm appreciative for everything along the way that helped me find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment